A new Motorway Service Area
bringing local benefit to East Cheshire.
Cheshire East Council's Strategic Planning Board voted 7 votes to 3 in favour of a new motorway service area at Junctions 7 and 8 of the M56 known as Tatton Services.
The Tatton Services partnership is a joint venture between Westmorland Family, known for its facilities at Tebay Services on the M6, Gloucester Services on the M5 and Cairn Lodge Services on the M74, and the Tatton Group, built on Tatton Estate land.
Tatton Services vision is to build on the distinctive model that Westmorland operates, which champions local food, craft and community to create a sustainable business which embraces the future of motorway travel. As the project is in the Green Belt, the next stage is for local planning authority to consult the Secretary of State on their proposed decision.
Tatton Services offerings include a fuel refilling station, a farm shop and kitchen (amenity building), a 100-bed hotel, all with energy efficiency and generation technologies, as well as 96 EV charging spaces, further enhancing the services available to travellers. Importantly, this project will generate 325 new jobs, with a commitment to local employment, training and working with local businesses to source produce for sale on site.
7 things we'd like to tell you:
1. We are the Westmorland Family the business behind Tebay Services, Gloucester Services and Cairn Lodge Services. We've been cooking real food and championing local produce on the motorway for 50 years.
2. Tatton Services will create 325 jobs. We will train and support colleagues who choose to work with us. 2 out of 5 jobs will be for young people; they will be paid the full (>23) National Living Wage.
3. In Gloucestershire we work with 130 local producers and we want to do the same at Tatton Services.
4. Gloucester Services has the most visited tourist information centre in the county. We would like to do the same for Cheshire.
5. We know that fuel is undergoing a transformation within our industry and Tatton Services will meet the needs of Electric Vehicle travellers.
6. Across our existing Services, we give £600,000 each year to local communities, as well as many other environmental and economic contributions.
7. Motorway service areas exist to meet the 'safety and welfare' needs of the travelling public using the strategic road network. Tatton Services will close and reduce identified 'gaps' in Motorway Service Area provision on the network to improve safety and journey reliability.
Watch our documentary on Channel 4
'A Lake District Farmshop'
This four-part documentary series is a warm-hearted celebration of Tebay Services, the motorway service station in Cumbria where the Westmorland Family business began. Filmed by Purple Productions for Channel 4, the series follows colleagues from the services and tells the stories of many of the Cumbrian farmers and producers they work with, all against the backdrop of the Lake District's beautiful landscapes.